This project will reconstruct and rehabilitate bridges and roadway sections along I-43 from Capitol Drive to just north of Hampton Avenue in Milwaukee County. The purpose of the project is to address poor bridge and pavement conditions and related geometric, safety, and traffic needs along I-43 over the abandoned Union Refrigerator Transit Company (URT) railyard. While incorporating these improvements, this project improves the six-lane corridor in generally the same configuration and footprint.
- Remove the 1,500-foot mainline bridge along I-43 over an abandoned railroad yard and replacing it with an embankment section roadway.
- Rehabilitate or replace three bridges over northbound exit to Green Bay Road (mainline and exit ramp bridges).
- Replace the I-43 bridge over Glendale Avenue.
- Replace three bridges over the Milwaukee River and Hampton Avenue (mainline and entrance ramp bridges).
- Implementing auxiliary lanes between Capitol Drive and Hampton Avenue. This operational improvement enhances the safety of ingress and egress traffic movements between interchanges.
- Permanently remove the I-43 northbound exit ramp to westbound Hampton Avenue.
- Consolidating Hampton Avenue traffic to an improved freeway exit ramp just south of Hampton Avenue.
- Replace existing noise wall west of I-43 and south of the Milwaukee River, and construct two new noise walls north of Capitol Drive on both sides of I-43.
- Construct two storm water ponds on existing right of way.
- Provide new connection for the Beerline Trail multi-use trail.
June 2021 – Late 2023