The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) North Central Region provides interstate and state highway construction updates for the following counties in north central Wisconsin: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara and Wood counties.
Construction schedules may fluctuate pending weather conditions and crew availability.
**This will be the last update for the 2022 construction season. If individual projects are still ongoing, they will be updated on that project’s website.
Lincoln and Oneida counties
Highway: US 8
Location: Scott Creek and Little Somo River northwest of Tomahawk
Schedule: Aug. 22, 2022, to August 2023
Project description: The project will replace culverts at Scott Creek and the Little Somo River bridge, pave the highway over work sites and replace guardrail.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will place pavement markings.
Traffic impacts: None
Highway: WIS 34
Location: County DB/Old 51 Road
Schedule: Aug. 8 to November 2022
Project description: Crews will construct a roundabout at the intersection and place new pavement markings and signage.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will complete finishing work.
Traffic impacts: None
Location: Columbia County line to Waushara County line
Schedule: June 20, 2022, to June 2023
Project description: Crews will remove the existing pavement on I-39 and its interchange ramps, place new asphalt and replace culverts, inlets and guardrail.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will install pavement markings.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect single-lane and shoulder closures throughout the project from 6 a.m. Monday, Nov. 21 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 23.
Highway: I-39/US 10/WIS 66
Location: US 10 bridge over I-39, southbound I-39 ramp to Wildwood Drive, Country Club Drive intersection, Stevens Point
Schedule: April 4, 2022, to May 2023
Project description: Crews will replace the bridge deck on the US 10/WIS 66 bridge over I-39. Bridge work includes relocating the sidewalk to the median area and adding concrete barrier walls to protect the median walkway area.
Anticipated work scheduled:
- US 10:
- Crews will install traffic signals and lighting at the north- and southbound ramp intersections, pave, continue restoration work and pour the barrier walls on the eastbound US 10 bridge.
- Pedestrian traffic:
- Sidewalk is routed around the reconstruction of eastbound US 10 using the south side of eastbound US 10/WIS 66 from southbound I-39 on-ramp to I-39 off-ramp to eastbound US 10.
- Motorists can expect:
- I-39 southbound left lane will be closed nightly on Wednesday, Nov. 30 and Thursday, Dec. 1 from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m.
The following are closed to early-December:
- I-39 northbound off-ramp to east US 10. The signed detour route is I-39 northbound to East WIS 66 to I-39 southbound.
- East- and westbound US 10 lane closures across the I-39 bridge. At least one lane is open in each direction.
- I-39 southbound off-ramp to West WIS 66. The signed detour route is I-39 southbound to County HH to I-39 northbound.
- West WIS 10 to I-39 southbound ramp. The signed detour route is I-39 northbound to east WIS 66 to I-39 southbound.
- East WIS 66 to I-39 northbound on-ramp. The signed detour route is I-39 southbound to County HH to I-39 northbound.
Location: Bridges over the railroad tracks and County B in Plover
Schedule: March 14 to Nov. 22, 2022
Project description: Crews will replace the decks for the bridges at the I-39/Portage County B interchange in Plover and resurface the I-39 bridges over the railroad tracks just north of the interchange. The project includes replacing guardrail, repairing concrete pavement joints, replacing vehicle detection loops for traffic signals, repairing existing culverts and enhancing the existing over-height detection system for vehicles on the I-39 ramps or County B planning to pass under I-39.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be installing pavement markers and removing traffic control on I-39
- IH 39
- Approximately .5 miles north and south of the I-39 and Portage County B interchange, one lane of traffic will be open for both northbound and southbound I-39. All lanes of I-39 will be open by noon Wednesday Nov. 23.
- County B
- All lanes of County B are open.
Highway: Business 51 (Post Road)
Location: Springville Drive to Tommy’s Turnpike
Schedule: April 11 to November 2022
Project description: Crews will reconstruct the roadway with new concrete pavement, new storm sewer, sanitary sewer and water mains and make the following surface improvements: turn lanes, raised medians, urban shoulders, sidewalk and streetlights.
Anticipated work scheduled: Work will resume in May of 2023.
Traffic impacts: None
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s North Central region: