- A WIS 42 closure/detour at the south junction of WIS 42/WIS 57 is scheduled to begin on Monday, June 27 and last 1-2 work weeks, but will remain open on the weekends. The WIS 42 detour will follow County H and County S. Holiday work restrictions include WIS 42 must be fully open from noon, Friday, July 1 to 6 a.m., Tuesday, July 5.
The project begins at the south
junction of WIS 42 and WIS 57 and ends at the south approach to the Bayview Bridge in the city of Sturgeon Bay in Door County, Wisconsin.
Description of work: The purpose of the project is to address the deteriorating roadway pavement and improve safety. Work includes:
- Concrete pavement repairs
- Mill and overlay of the existing asphalt pavement sections
- Asphalt pavement overlay of existing concrete pavement from Duluth Avenue to the Bayview Bridge
- Miscellaneous pipe and drainage improvements
- New pavement markings
- Replacement of beam guard
NOTE – The following locally-funded improvements will be conducted as part of this project:
- Ashland Avenue – widening the intersection radius for the southbound WIS 42/57 right turn movement.
- Neenah Avenue – widening the north leg of the intersection to create a right turn lane and combined through/left turn lane.
- County U/Circle Ridge Rd
- Construction of WIS 42/57 right turn lanes to County U and Circle Ridge Road.
- Widening County U to include a right turn lane and combined through/left turn lane.
- Reconfiguration of the southbound WIS 42/57 traffic lanes to maintain a single lane through the intersection and offset left turn lanes to improve driver perception/vision.
- Green Bay Road northbound ramp
- Removal of concrete barrier and guardrail below the WIS 42/57 overpass
- Reconstruction of multi-use path with new concrete sidewalk
Construction scheduled from March 30, 2022 to September 2022.
The combination of repairing and diamond grinding existing concrete pavement and milling/overlaying existing asphaltic pavement will reduce surface roughness and provide a smoother and safer ride to motorists. These improvements will also extend the life of the pavement structure and reduce future maintenance costs. The various locally-funded intersection improvements in the city of Sturgeon Bay will improve operations and enhance safety at those intersections. Additional safety enhancements include guardrail improvements and shoulder rumble strips to alert wayward motorists who travel onto the shoulder.
Note: Dates and times of intersections will be posted below when known.
- WIS 42/57 will remain open to traffic except for a few WIS 42/57 nighttime closures/detours needed for work between County U and Bayview Bridge. There will also be a short-term WIS 42 daytime closure/detour needed near the south junction with WIS 57,
- A WIS 42/57 nighttime closure/detour was scheduled for the evenings of June 7 and June 8. The June 8 nighttime closure was rescheduled to the evening of June 9 due to rain. The WIS 42/57 detour will follow Green Bay Road, South Madison Avenue, Michigan Street, North 4th Avenue, Jefferson Street, North 18th Avenue, and Egg Harbor Road.
- A WIS 42 closure/detour at the south junction of WIS 42/WIS 57 is scheduled to begin on Monday, June 27 and last 1-2 work weeks, but will remain open on the weekends. The WIS 42 detour will follow County H and County S.
- All other WIS 42/WIS 57 construction will be completed under single lane closures (outside of mainline peak hours), shoulder closures, and/or flagging
- WIS 42/57 lane widths may be temporarily restricted to 11-foot when workers are present and operations require.
- Normal lane widths will be 12-feet with a 15-feet clear width when workers are not present and operations allow.
- WIS 42/57 construction from Ashland Ave. to Bayview Bridge:
- Complete by the end of June.
- Green Bay Road ramps:
- Closed for 1-2 months for ramp repair work. Traffic is expected to use Lansing Ave. as an alternative route.
- Right turns from WIS 42/57 southbound to Ashland Avenue.
- Restricted for 1-2 months. Traffic is expected to use Columbia Ave. as an alternative route.
- Ashland Avenue:
- Closed for a single day. The single day closure will occur outside of evening peak hours.
- Right turns from WIS 42/57 southbound to Neenah Avenue:
- Restricted for 1-2 months. Traffic is expected to use Lansing Ave. as an alternative route.
- Right turns from WIS 42/57 southbound to Circle Ridge Road:
- Restricted for 1-2 months. Traffic is expected to use Quarterdeck Lane as an alternative route.
- County U:
- Closed from Tacoma Beach Road to WIS 42/57 for 1-2 months.
- Traffic is expected to use Tacoma Beach Road, E. Walnut St., Neenah Ave., and Shiloh Road as alternative routes.
- WIS 42/57 median at County U/Circle Ridge Road:
- Closed for 1-2 months when left turn lanes are being constructed.
- Traffic is expected to use Tacoma Beach Road, E. Walnut St., Neenah Ave., and Quarterdeck Lane as alternative routes.
The access point for the multiuse path that connects to County U will be closed while intersection widening is taking place. Trail users will need to use the access point located on Tacoma Beach Road. A section of the multiuse path that runs alongside Green Bay Road northbound ramp will be temporarily shifted when ramp construction/closure is taking place. The path will remain open through construction.
Temporary business signing
Temporary business signing may be placed during the detoured portion of the project by filling out a WisDOT business signing permit. All temporary business signing needs approval via the permit before placement to ensure it is in a safe location and does not pose a visual distraction or traffic hazard. The temporary business signing permit is free. Costs associated with creating the temporary sign are the responsibility of the business.
Please keep the following items in mind regarding business signing:
- Temporary business signing cannot be placed on traffic control devices or state signs. Business signs attached to these devices will be removed.
- It is encouraged that businesses team up to have multiple businesses advertised on one sign structure versus several individual signs. This makes it easier for travelers to identify signs and find their destination.
Temporary Business Sign permits are available as a fillable-form WORD download (below) or you can request one from WisDOT Project Manager Paul Brauer at (920) 366-1097 or email Paul.Brauer@dot.wi.gov.
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. While signing and other marketing/advertising during the construction is up to the business, has business resources available through its “In This Together” website to assist businesses with planning for construction closures and to minimize the impact of construction. For more information, please visit WisDOT’s In This Together website at https://wisconsindot.gov/Together
The construction project leader is your main contact for any construction-related questions. Please contact Corey via phone or email. The onsite construction office is located in the parking lot for the Knights of Columbus building, 692 Tacoma Beach Rd (Southwest quadrant of WIS 42/County U intersection).
Corey Schuh, Onsite WIS 42 Project Construction Leader
Paul Brauer, P.E., Project Manager
WisDOT Northeast Region
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304