Note: WIS 42 in Fish Creek will completely OPEN by Friday, June 19, 2020. Minor finishing work will remain on the project following the highway opening.
New sidewalk, pedestrian island and pavement
WIS 42 from Bluff Lane in Gibraltar to Country Walk Drive in Sister Bay, Door County
WIS 42 from Gibraltar to Sister Bay is a resurfacing project that is scheduled to begin May 28, 2019 and be completed in June 2020. Work includes the following items:
- Milling and resurfacing the asphalt roadway
- (Resurfacing is complete between Gibraltar Road in the town of Gibraltar and Country Walk Drive in the village of Sister Bay.)
- Storm sewer repairs and upgrades
- Culvert replacements
- Beam guard replacement
- Extension of sidewalk in Gibraltar to the school and YMCA, including curb and gutter and storm sewer
- Storm sewer outfall relocation at Fish Creek Beach
- Addition of a turn lane and sidewalk along Shore Road in Gibraltar
- Lighting upgrades in Gibraltar
- View project construction overview map
- View Gibraltar improvements map (Shore Road to YMCA)
- View Gibraltar improvements map (Bluff Lane to Shore Road)
- NOTE: The town of Gibraltar is currently working with Vinton Construction to complete additional curb & gutter replacement, sidewalk replacement, and new storm sewer along WIS 42 within the limits of the WIS 42 project. This work is being done separately from the state highway project outlined on this website. Please contact Gibraltar with questions regarding this project.
- View construction meeting PowerPoint presentation – Construction details were outlined at a public construction update meeting. The presentation has similar maps and information that is contained on this website.
Construction: May 28, 2019 to June 19m 2020
- 2020 construction begins March 9.
This project will be constructed in phases during the 2019/2020 construction season.
- For traffic impacts and detour maps, please see the Traffic Impacts & Detour webpage.
May 28, 2019 – June 2019
- Begin resurfacing segments from the YMCA in Gibraltar to Country Walk Drive in Sister Bay, excluding the separate project limits being completed under a separate contract by the Village of Ephraim.
- Complete all work from Brookside Lane to Anderson Lane in the Village of Ephraim by June 14, 2019.
July 2019 – August 2019
- No work along WIS 42.
September 2019 – October 2019
- Complete remaining resurfacing work between the YMCA in Gibraltar to Country Walk Drive in Sister Bay.
October 2019 – November 22, 2019
- Begin work on the segment from Bluff Lane to the YMCA in Gibraltar.
November 22, 2019 to March 10, 2020 – Winter Shutdown
- No work anticipated.
March 9, 2020 – June 2020
- Complete work in Gibraltar from Bluff Lane to the YMCA.
- Complete work from YMCA to Country Walk Drive before Memorial Day weekend.
Business Signing During Detour
Temporary business signing may be placed during the detoured portion of the project by filling out a business signing permit, free of charge. All temporary business signing needs approval before placement to ensure it is in a safe location and does not pose a visual distraction or traffic hazard.
The town of Gibraltar will be coordinating the effort for business signing during the detoured portion of the project. Please contact the town office at (920) 868-1714 for additional details.
Please keep the following items in mind regarding business signing:
Temporary business signing cannot be placed on traffic control devices or state signs. Business signs attached to these devices will be removed.
It is encouraged that businesses team up to have multiple businesses advertised on one sign structure versus several individual signs. This makes it easier for travelers to identify signs and find their destination.
Temporary Business Sign Permits are available as a fillable-form WORD download (below) or you can request one from project manager Jeremy Ashauer by calling (920) 412-6381 or email Jeremy.email@example.com.
Please email the completed permit as an attachment to Jeremy, or if you prefer to mail the completed form, please address to: Jeremy Ashauer, WisDOT NE Region, 944 Vanderperren Way, Green Bay, WI 54304.
In This Together program for businesses
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. It’s critical that customers have access to businesses and that they continue to visit them, regardless of any road work inconvenience. While signing and other marketing/advertising during the construction is up to the business, WisDOT has business resources available through its In This Together website to assist businesses with planning for construction closures and to minimize the impact of construction. On the In this Together website, businesses can find:
Specially designed workbook for businesses to succeed during a highway construction project, includes information on:
Keeping customers informed
Tips for businesses
Case studies that demonstrate techniques that have been successfully used in communities throughout Wisconsin.
Promotional samples showing a variety of examples of how businesses have promoted their businesses during construction.
This program is offered to business and community leaders as an idea source as they plan for road construction in their area. Through communication and cooperation, businesses can not only survive, but thrive, when road construction comes to town. Please visit the In This Together website here.
- Construction Update Meeting on Thursday March 5, 2020 at 4 p.m. The meeting will be held at the Gibraltar Town Center, 4097 Highway 42, Fish Creek. The meeting will discuss construction operations for 2020. All information will also be posted on this website.