Weekly Northwest Region Construction Update
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is providing a weekly update on construction projects in the northwest region, which includes the counties of Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Buffalo, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Jackson, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix, Taylor, Trempealeau and Washburn counties.
Construction related traffic impacts are subject to change and dependent on favorable weather patterns.
Highway: US 8
Location: Turtle Lake
Schedule: May – November 2017
Cost: $4.1 Million
Description: This project includes installation of a roundabout at the US 63 and County Highway K intersection.
- Motorists can expect reduced speeds from 35 to 25 mph and single lane closures.
- 12’ width restrictions are currently in place at WIS 63 Northbound intersection.
Highway: WIS 124
Location: Bridge Street, Chippewa Falls
Schedule: April – November 2017
Cost: $ 2.3 Million
Description: Improvements include removing deteriorated concrete pavement, resurfacing the Summit Avenue intersection with an asphaltic surface, bridge deck repairs and a polymer overlay. The project will also include improvements to curb and gutter, beam guard, signing and pavement marking.
- Motorists can expect to encounter lane shifts and single lane closures throughout the project. Speeds will be reduced from 35 to 25 MPH.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained through a sidewalk detour throughout construction. Pedestrians will be directed to utilize River Street, Main Street, and Park Avenue as an alternate route.
- NB bridge and on-ramp closed to traffic. Two way traffic on SB bridge.
Highway: WIS 98
Location: South and Main Streets, Helm Street to Elm Drive, Loyal
Schedule: April 10 – November 2017
Cost: $5.1 Million
Description: Reconstruction of WIS 98 including water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, concrete pavement, and decorative street lights.
- WIS 98 is closed from Helm Street to just West of Main Street.
- Traffic will be detoured via WIS 73, County H, and County K.
Eau Claire County
Highway: US 53 / WIS 93
Location: Eau Claire
Schedule: October 2, 2017 – June 30, 2018
Cost: $1.8 million
Description: NW Region Signal per Lane / I-94 to WIS 93 / Golf Road Intersection
- Shoulder closures on US 53 and ramps
- Golf Road lane closures 9am – 3pm
Highway: WIS 35
Location: WIS 25 to Walnut Street, Nelson – Stockholm
Schedule: August 14 – November 17, 2017
Cost: $5.2 million
Description: The project includes mill and overlay on a 12 mile segment of WIS 35. Work also includes beam guard replacement, replacement and enhancement of existing permanent signs, and new pavement markings. Additional work in the villages of Pepin and Stockholm includes updating pedestrian ramps and installing traffic islands.
- Flagging operations are complete, as work operations are nearing completion.
- Motorists can expect to see crews finishing construction operations over the next week or two. Traffic impacts should be minimal at most.
St. Croix County
Location: WIS 128 interchange, Baldwin
Schedule: April 3 – November 10, 2017
Cost: $6.4 Million
Description: Build a new bridge west of the existing bridge, reconstruct WIS 128 from 50th Avenue to 56th Avenue including roundabouts at the new interchange ramps, and build a new service road connecting to the north end of the Kwik Trip parking lot.
- WIS 128 will be open to through traffic throughout project duration
- Expect flagging operations periodically throughout project duration along WIS 128
- Expect single lane closures periodically throughout project duration along I-94 in each direction with a speed reduction of 60 MPH.
Highway: I-94, Hudson – Baldwin
Location: WIS 35 North to US 12
Schedule: September – November 2018
Cost: $1.5 million
Description: This project is a rehabilitation of I-94 by upgrading and replacing deteriorating sections of roadway and shoulders, two bridge decks over Front St., concrete barrier walls, signs and sign structures, widening a bridge deck over WIS 35 N, and adding two noise walls and three retaining walls.
Traffic impacts: This section of I-94 between the St. Croix River and mile marker 5 will have periodic night time lane closures.