The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is overseeing a major reconstruction and expansion project in south-central Wisconsin. The I-39/90 Expansion Project extends approximately 45 miles along Interstate 39/90 from the Illinois state line to the US 12/18 interchange near Madison.
- Built in the early 1960s, all of the 11 interchanges along the corridor have outdated design features that contribute to safety concerns.
- With no corrective action, all sections of I-39/90 are expected to operate at unacceptable levels of service, meaning unstable traffic flow and stop-and-go conditions.
- In order to address those safety and congestion concerns, WisDOT is:
- Reconstructing and expanding I-39/90 from four to six lanes;
- Reconfiguring 11 interchanges; and
- Expanding the Interstate to eight lanes (four lanes in each direction), from WIS 11 (Avalon Rd.) north to the WIS 26 interchange, to accommodate projected traffic increases.
The I-39/90 Expansion Project began in 2015 and is currently anticipated to be completed in 2022. Visit the Schedule section to learn more about upcoming construction work.
Stay informed and involved using this site and following our project Facebook page.
Thank you for your patience as we “improve a gateway to Wisconsin.”