The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is overseeing a major reconstruction and expansion project in south-central Wisconsin. The I-39/90 Expansion Project extends approximately 45 miles along Interstate 39/90 from the Illinois state line to the US 12/18 interchange near Madison.
- Built in the early 1960s, all of the 11 interchanges along the corridor had outdated design features that contributed to safety concerns.
- This section of Interstate was experiencing significant traffic delays, especially during peak travel times, resulting in poor traffic flow and increased safety problems.
- To address safety and congestion concerns, WisDOT is:
- Reconstructing and expanding I-39/90 from four to six lanes;
- Reconfiguring 11 interchanges; and
- Expanding the Interstate to eight lanes (four lanes in each direction) through the Janesville area, from WIS 11/Avalon Road north to the WIS 26/Milton Avenue interchange, to accommodate projected traffic increases.
The I-39/90 Expansion Project began in 2015 and the mainline project is currently anticipated to be completed in 2021. Work will also begin in 2020 at the I-39/90 and US 12/18 (Beltline) interchange near Madison. Visit the Schedule section to learn more about upcoming construction work.
Stay informed and involved using this site and following our project Facebook page.
Thank you for your patience as we “improve a gateway to Wisconsin.”