The website details a painting project on the Leo Frigo Bridge (I-43) in Brown County.
SCHEDULE UPDATE! Stage 3 begins May 15.
- Traffic impacts: There will be a continuous southbound I-43 lane closure, with temporary concrete barrier wall, for 80 days (about May 15 to August 2) during Stage 3 of construction.
Off-peak lane closures will occur during Stage 3 of work on northbound lanes of I-43.
There will be a continuous right shoulder closure for the duration of Stage 3 of the project.
- Painting will take place within a containment system alongside and above live traffic. **Motorists must be alert and use caution driving through the containment system and work zone**
This project will take place on the Leo Frigo Bridge (I-43) over the Fox River in the city of Green Bay, Brown County. The painting will occur on the arch span in the middle bridge.
This project will involve blasting and painting the steel arch and girders in the arch span of the bridge. Work includes installation of lighting inside the arch for safer bridge inspections and maintenance operations. Benefits include:
- The painting will extend the life of the structure by mitigating effects of corrosion and environmental factors that impact the steel arch span.
- The new surface paint will also improve the appearance of the Leo Frigo Bridge.
- The installation of new lighting on the bridge will enhance safety of maintenance team members inspecting or conducting routing maintenance and repairs on the structure.
In-construction weekly updates: https://projects.511wi.gov/weeklyupdates-ne/
Construction begins April 3, 2023 and expected to end by the fall of 2023.
I-43 at the Leo Frigo Bridge will be restricted to one lane of travel. Lane closures will create delays on I-43.
- These delays may be significant during peak travel times. Please consider alternate routes to cross the Fox River. Lane and ramp closures include:
Traffic impacts: There will be a continuous southbound I-43 lane closure, with temporary concrete barrier wall, for 80 days (about May 15 to August 2) during Stage 3 of construction.
- Off-peak lane closures will occur during Stage 3 of work on northbound lanes of I-43.
- There will be a continuous right shoulder closure for the duration of Stage 3 of the project.
- Painting will take place within a containment system alongside and above live traffic.
- A continuous northbound I-43 lane closure will take place at start of construction and near the end of construction.
- Off-peak lane closures on northbound I-43 will occur during the middle stages of work.
- The southbound I-43 on-ramp from Atkinson Drive will be closed.
- Detour: Those seeking I-43 access from Atkinson Drive will continue on US 141 to WIS 57 to Webster Avenue and use the Webster Avenue ramp to join I-43.
- The speed limit on the Leo Frigo Bridge is reduced to 55 miles per hour.
- Motorists may want to consider using alternate routes during peak travel times
Want to see real-time video of traffic on the Leo Frigo Bridge right now? Simply go to our camera page on 511 Wisconsin.
In This Together
WisDOT provides businesses and organizations impacted by highway construction a specialized website with an interactive tool kit, tips, examples and case studies to help businesses mitigate impacts from highway construction.
Construction Questions? Please contact the construction project leader with any in-construction related questions.
Scott Van Calster, onsite construction project leader
Other project questions? Feel free to contact the WisDOT Project Manager for this project.
WisDOT Project Manger
Kurt Vogel, P.E., Project Manager, WisDOT
WisDOT Northeast Region
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304