I-43 Bridges Project, Milwaukee County
2014 PROJECT UPDATE: Phase II Construction season for the I-43 Bridges Rehabilitation Project set to begin this spring.
2014 construction will include:
- Bridge rehabilitation at Mitchell Street, Lincoln Avenue, Maple Street, Warnimont Pedestrian Bridge, and Southbound I-43 Entrance Ramp Bridge over Becher Street
- Roadway paving at the Southbound Becher St/Lapham Blvd entrance and exit Ramps
- Roadway paving at the 9th St/Walker St Northbound entrance and exit ramps
- Pavement rehabilitation within the Holt Avenue Park & Ride Lot
- Bridge painting of the Valley Bridge beginning near National Avenue
- Bridge Painting under 6th Street at the Washington Street intersection
- Under-deck bridge repair at Valley Bridge and Oklahoma Overpass
Long-term closures anticipated during 2014 construction season include:
- Mitchell St. between 5th St. and 4th St.
- Lincoln St. between 5th St. and 4th St.
- Maple St. between 5th St. and 4th St.
- Washington Street between 7th St. and 5th St.
- Warnimont Pedestrian Bridge between 5th St. and 4th St.
- Lapham Blvd Southbound entrance ramp
- 9th St/Walker St Northbound entrance and exit ramps
Long term street and ramp closures planned for summer 2014
Construction on the I-43 Bridges Rehabilitation Project in Milwaukee County will begin in late May. The first stage of construction operation will include long-term closures of:
- I-43/94 SB ramp bridges over Becher Street
- Mitchell Street bridge over I-43/94
The I-43/94 Southbound ramp bridge over Becher Street is scheduled to be closed starting May 19 until early fall. The Southbound entrance ramp from Lapham Boulevard will remain open and a signed detour route will direct traffic to exit at Becher Street and proceed to the Becher Street Southbound entrance ramp to I-43/94.
The Lincoln Avenue and Maple Street bridges over I-43/I-94, between 4th Street and 5th Street is scheduled to be closed starting September 2 until late fall. In addition, the northbound exit ramp and entrance ramp to/from 9th Street and Walker Street will be closed starting September 2. Motorists and pedestrians must use an alternate route.
For the latest closure and construction schedule information, visit the project web site at http://projects.511wi.gov/ and click on the "I-43 Bridges Project" quick link.
The project team appreciates your patience and cooperation during this project.
- - - - - - - - -
This four-mile project will rehabilitate bridges both on and over I-43 in Milwaukee County,from Howard Avenue (just north of the Mitchell Interchange) to the Valley Bridge (just south of the Marquette Interchange).
This stretch of I-43 serves as an important link between the Mitchell Interchange and Marquette Interchange, and is a major regional route for tourism, special events, and commerce. Bridge rehabilitation work is required in this area so this vital link can be maintained, especially in advance of upcoming construction on the Zoo Interchange and Hoan Bridge projects.
This project will rehabilitate 13 bridges on and over I-43 from Howard Avenue to the Valley Bridge in Milwaukee County, including bridge deck overlays/replacements, bridge repair and painting.
We ask for your patience as we undertake several large infrastructure improvement projects planned in this area over the next two years.