The proposed roadway improvements include construction of a roundabout at the US 61 and WIS 81 intersection. This intersection has a history of severe crashes in its current configuration. A roundabout will improve safety at this intersection. The project will also improve passing zones on the corridor by constructing new passing lanes or extending existing passing lanes between Dickeyville and Lancaster. US 61 northbound will have 2 new passing lanes constructed and 2 existing passing lanes extended. US 61 southbound will have 2 new passing lanes constructed and 1 existing passing lane extended. The project will remain open to traffic during construction.
Additional US 61 roadway improvements include the following:
- Realigning Kelly Ln, Abing Ln, Lone Elm Tree Rd, Substation Rd, Hudson Hollow Rd, and Stage Rd for intersection safety improvements.
- Extending Box culverts to match wider slopes.
- Extending culvert pipes to match wider slopes.
- Grading slopes to eliminate existing guardrail at select locations.
- Replacing impacted signing and pavement markings.