Page last updated: July 1, 2022
- The northbound right lane on I-39 will be closed from 6 a.m. July 5 to noon July 8.
The following are closed to late October:
- I-39 northbound off-ramp to East US 10. The signed detour route is I-39 northbound to East WI 66 to I-39 southbound.
- US 10 east- and westbound lanes.
- I-39 southbound off-ramp to West US 66. The signed detour route is I-39 southbound to County HH to I-39 northbound.
- West US 10 to I-39 southbound ramp. The signed detour route is I-39 northbound to East WIS 66 to I-39 southbound.
- East US 66 to I-39 northbound on-ramp. The signed detour route is I-39 southbound to County HH to I-39 northbound.
Overall Traffic Impacts
- Traffic on US 10 / WIS 66 will remain open to traffic throughout construction.
- Motorists should expect lane closures, shifting of lanes, temporary signals, and ramp closures with detours.
- The bridge and approach roadways will be constructed half at a time.
- There will be initial work at Country Club Drive, the I-39 ramp terminals, Maple Bluff Road, and in the median areas, to prepare for shifting of lanes and temporary signals. Some of this initial work will occur at night.
- Traffic will then be shifted to the eastbound (south) side of the roadway to construct the westbound (north) side, then shifted to the newly constructed westbound (north) side of the roadway to construct the eastbound (south) side.
- Country Club Drive and Maple Bluff Road/Old Hwy 18 intersections will have temporary turn lanes and temporary signals.
- Ramp terminal intersections will have lane closures, left turn restrictions, and full closures during the various stages of construction.
- I-39 may be closed and detoured at night during bridge demolition work, and each direction of I-39 will be restricted to one lane during bridge painting work in spring 2023.
Below are more in-depth, overall traffic impacts for each stage of this project. The weekly construction impact, 511wi.gov and this website will provide weekly updates once the project is underway. Any questions, please reach out to staff on the Contact Us page.
The WIS 66 eastbound auxiliary and outside lanes will be closed through the Country Club Drive and southbound I-39 ramp intersections. There will be temporary signals at the Country Club Drive intersection. The I-39 southbound on ramp will be closed during this stage. Pedestrians will be diverted around the work zones at Country Club Drive and the I-39 southbound on ramp terminal. The I-39 northbound off ramp to WIS 66 westbound will be closed for a maximum of four continuous days (Monday Through Thursday) to construct a temporary widening of that ramp. The I-39 northbound on ramp left shoulder will be closed as needed during work on the I-39 northbound off ramp. The Country Club Drive right turn lane to WIS 66 eastbound will be closed for a maximum of 7 continuous days during this stage.
The inside lanes of US 10 / WIS 66 will be closed at night to remove the raised median and construct temporary asphalt pavements that will allow for the temporary lane shifts that happen in later stages. The I-39 southbound off ramp will be temporarily closed during the transition from Stage 2 to Stage 3, and left turn lane from that ramp to WIS 66 westbound will be closed during this stage and will remain closed throughout Stages 3 and 4. The signals at the southbound I-39 ramp terminal intersection will be turned off and will remain off throughout stages 3 and 4. The I-39 northbound to US 10 eastbound off ramp will be closed after the I-39 southbound to US 10 eastbound ramp is reopened. Eastbound US 10 / WIS 66 traffic will be shifted to the far south side of the bridge to provide space for westbound traffic to also travel on the south half of the bridge during Stage 4. The Maple Bluff Road/Old Hwy 18 intersection will remain fully open with temporary signals and reconfigured lanes. Left turn movements from US 10 / WIS 66 to I-39 northbound and southbound will be closed during the latter part of this stage and will remain closed throughout stages 3 and 4. The Country Club Drive intersection will remain fully open with temporary signals.
The existing westbound lanes (north half) of the bridge will be closed and westbound traffic will be rerouted to the south half of the bridge. The signals at the southbound I-39 off ramp terminal intersection will remain off. Left turns will not be allowed from the I-39 southbound off ramp to WIS 66 westbound, or from eastbound or westbound US 10 / WIS 66 onto the on ramps to I-39 northbound or southbound. To provide full access to I-39, westbound to southbound and eastbound to northbound movements will be detoured via I-39 through the nearest adjacent interchange north and south of the US 10 / WIS 66 interchange. The I-39 northbound to US 10 eastbound off ramp will remain closed during this stage. Lanes on I-39 will be closed as needed during bridge removal operations. The Maple Bluff Road/Old Hwy 18 intersection will remain fully open with temporary signals and reconfigured lanes. The Country Club Drive intersection will remain fully open with temporary signals.
All traffic crossing the bridge will be rerouted to the newly constructed north half of the bridge, and the eastbound lanes (south half) of the bridge will be closed. All traffic movements from I-39 to and from US 10 / WIS 66 will remain as in Stage 3, but with reconfigured lanes to provide for traffic to travel on the north half of the bridge. The I-39 northbound to US 10 eastbound off ramp will remain closed during this stage.
I-39 southbound ramp terminal intersection signals will be reactivated and the intersection will open to all turning movements. The eastbound WIS 66 left turn to I-39 northbound will remain closed during the early part of this stage, and then be opened. The I-39 northbound off ramp to WIS 66 westbound will be closed for a maximum of 10 continuous days and one weekend to complete work on that ramp. The left shoulder of the northbound on ramp will also be closed during the northbound off ramp closure. The I-39 northbound to US 10 eastbound ramp will remain closed to begin this stage and then be opened. This stage will also have inside lane closures on US 10 / WIS 66 to allow for construction of the median areas. All roadways will be fully open to traffic after completion of this stage.
This stage is planned for the spring of 2023. There will be alternating lane closures on I-39 to allow for painting of the bridge beams on the underside of the bridge. All on and off ramps at the I-39 and US 10 / WIS 66 interchange will remain open during this work, and US 10 / WIS 66 will also remain fully open during this work.