Why is this project needed?
- The current US 53/WIS 35 interchange with I-90 needs to be brought up to current engineering design standards.
- Work on US 53/WIS 35 is needed to repair those highways and to accommodate a new interchange at Exit 3.
- Work on I-90 and other roads is needed to either accommodate the reconstructed interchange or to repair the existing roads.
- Deficiencies – Pavement, bridge conditions and design need to be addressed to ensure its long-term performance.
System Linkage and Route Importance
- I-90 is the longest interstate in the U.S., and directly connects Wisconsin to 12 other states as well as the east and west coastlines.
- WIS 35 is the longest state highway in Wisconsin and runs the entire distance of Wisconsin’s western border providing a link for those residents.
- The interchange of I-90 and WIS 35 is a vital link in both Wisconsin’s and the national transportation system.
Improve safety, repair of deterioration, improve traffic operations.