Posted: Feb. 29, 2016
Starting this week, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation will reconstruct the Interstate 39/90 and WIS 59 interchange (Exit 163), as well as I-39/90 and the Rock River bridges, near Edgerton and Newville in Rock County. The interchange will be reconfigured into a diamond interchange with three roundabouts to improve safety, efficiency and reduce overall congestion in the area.
In early March, crews will begin construction of the new piers for the Interstate bridges over the Rock River. Boater safety signs will be placed at active boat launches along Lake Koshkonong and the Rock River. Boaters are asked to be alert for construction crews and work taking place in the river.
What you need to know:
- Electronic weekly construction updates for these projects will start within the next few weeks, and continue through the 2016 construction season.
- Be sure to inform family, friends and co-workers who may travel the area and encourage them to sign up for project email updates.
- Periodic lane and ramp closures are anticipated at the interchange throughout the project, including nighttime lane closures (8 p.m. to 5 a.m.) on I-39/90 near the WIS 59 interchange.
- The new WIS 59 bridge over I-39/90 will be constructed south of the existing structure to maintain access to area businesses and neighborhoods.
- The public should continue to patronize area businesses in the project area.
- Occasional delays will occur as construction takes place, and we ask for your patience when traveling through the work zone.
- All lane restrictions and work operations are weather dependent and subject to change.
- Remember to be alert and slow down in all work zones.
Watch the narrated WIS 59 interchange drive-through video , WIS 59 interchange handout and view the WIS 59 interchange configuration. You can also view the preliminary Rock River bridge staging plans. Note: You may need to zoom in to see details.
The WIS 59 interchange project is expected to be completed in November 2016. The Interstate widening and Rock River bridge replacement project is scheduled to be completed in early fall 2018.
Stay involved and informed with the project website and follow the project on Facebook.