Posted: October 29, 2020
The I-39/90 Expansion Project has reached another milestone as additional sections of Interstate in Rock County are planned to open to three lanes each way. Weather-permitting, by Friday morning (Oct. 30):
- Three lanes will open each way on I-39/90 between County S/Shopiere Road near Beloit and WIS 11/Avalon Road, south of Janesville.
- Three lanes will open for I-39/90 northbound between WIS 11/Avalon Road and Mount Zion Avenue.
- Note: Four lanes in this area will open with the completion of the Janesville interchanges in fall 2021.
- Four lanes will open on the southbound Interstate between Mount Zion Avenue and WIS 11/Avalon Road near Janesville.
- I-39/90 will also open to three lanes in each direction from Townline Road, north of Janesville, to the Rock River bridges near Edgerton and Newville.
The speed limit within these sections of Interstate will be posted at 70 mph; however, motorists are advised to drive for conditions.
At the end of the 2020 construction season, approximately 40 miles of the 45-mile project corridor will be completed. I-39/90 reconstruction and expansion is ongoing at interchanges in Madison, Janesville and Beloit. The reduced speed limit of 60 mph is still in effect within those work zones.
The entire I-39/90 Project, between Beloit and Madison, is scheduled for completion in fall 2021.
In 2022, US 14/Humes Road in Janesville will be reconstructed to an urban roadway between Deerfield Drive and WIS 26/Milton Avenue with sidewalk/shared used paths on each side. Learn more about the US 14 reconstruction project, including the six-month partial closure of US 14 between Pontiac Drive and Milton Avenue.