Posted: Sept. 5, 2017
Work is underway to reconstruct and expand approximately 12 miles of Interstate 39/90 from Hart Road near Beloit north to the I-39/90 and US 14 interchange (Exit 171B) in Janesville. Crews are currently working in the Janesville area on temporary ramp connections near the WIS 11 (Racine Street) interchange, and constructing a crossover for future traffic staging at the US 14 (Humes Road) interchange.
What you need to know:
- Electronic weekly construction updates for this project will start Friday (Sept. 8), and continue through the 2017-2020 construction seasons.
- Nightly single lane closures are expected on I-39/90 in this area between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- NOTE: Overnight lane closures on the Interstate in the Janesville area start tonight (Sept. 5).
- Throughout construction, I-39/90 will remain open with two lanes of traffic in each direction, except for periodic nighttime lane closures.
- Anticipated construction staging between Janesville and Beloit:
- Work will begin on the northbound Interstate lanes. Currently anticipated in early October 2017, northbound traffic will be shifted over to temporary lanes onto the southbound side of I-39/90 during construction. This crossover will be located just north of the WIS 11 (Racine Street) interchange. In spring 2018, the northbound Interstate crossover will be relocated to Hart Road overpass, near Beloit.
- Two lanes of traffic will remain open in each direction with a temporary barrier wall separating northbound and southbound traffic.
- When the I-39/90 northbound expansion is complete within these limits, both northbound and southbound motorists will be shifted to the new northbound pavement as crews reconstruct and expand the existing I-39/90 southbound lanes. Again, two lanes will remain open in each direction separated by a temporary barrier wall.
- Noise barrier installation along I-39/90, between WIS 11 (Racine Street) and US 14 interchanges, in Janesville:
- Spring/summer 2018 – I-39/90 northbound (westbound).
- Summer 2019 – I-39/90 southbound (eastbound).
- Note: These dates are dependent on weather and work operations, and subject to change.
- During construction, local roadways under I-39/90 in Janesville may be temporarily closed for bridge work. Advanced notice of these temporary closures will be announced to the media and on the project’s website.
- More information on reconstruction activities will be shared in the coming weeks on the I-39/90 section between WIS 11 (Racine Street) and Hart Road near Beloit.
- All lane restrictions and work operations are weather dependent and subject to change.
- Remember to be alert for crews and equipment in this area, and drive with caution through all work zones.
View the handouts and presentation from the public meeting in mid-August 2017. This project is scheduled to be completed in spring 2020 (weather-permitting).