Posted: March 21, 2017
Starting Monday (March 27), crews will begin work to reconstruct and expand Interstate 39/90 northbound, between the Dane/Rock County line and East Church Road, near the US 51 interchange (Exit 156), including the northbound side of the interchange, east of Stoughton.
What you need to know:
- Electronic weekly construction updates for this project will start next Friday (March 31), and continue through the 2017 construction season.
- Be sure to inform family, friends and co-workers who may travel the area and encourage them to sign up for project email updates.
- Periodic nighttime single lane closures are anticipated during the first month of construction, and will occur between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- During these operations, traffic shifts are anticipated within these project limits to accommodate future traffic staging.
- In late April, all Interstate traffic will shift onto the southbound side via crossovers, while the adjacent eight mile Interstate section is reconstructed and expanded.
- Two lanes of traffic will remain open in each direction, with northbound and southbound traffic separated by a median barrier wall.
- Please stay in your lane and follow the posted speed limits to safely navigate these areas.
- During construction, the WIS 73/US 51 interchange (Exit 160) ramps and the southbound ramps at the US 51 interchange (Exit 156) will remain open.
- The northbound on/off ramps at the US 51 interchange will be closed starting in late April.
- The northbound off ramp is anticipated to re-open by August 1, 2017.
- The northbound on ramp will remain closed until mid-November 2017.
- Motorists are required to use alternate routes during these ramp closures.
- This Interstate expansion is the first section of permanent concrete on I-39/90 northbound from the Illinois state line to Madison
- All lane restrictions and work operations are weather dependent and subject to change.
- Remember to be alert for crews and equipment in this area, and drive with caution through all work zones.
This project is scheduled to be completed in mid-November 2017.
Contact I-39/90 Project staff with any questions regarding this project.
Stay involved and informed with the project website and follow the project on Facebook.