Posted: March 9, 2020
Work is expected to start this week at the I-39/90 and US 12/18 (Beltline) interchange in Madison. Crews will reconfigure the Beltline interchange as part of the I-39/90 Expansion Project improvements.
What you need to know:
- During daytime hours and weekends, I-39/90 remains open to two lanes of traffic in each direction.
- Nightly single lane closures on I-39/90 typically occur between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Four new bridges will be built to move the northbound Interstate alignment adjacent to I-39/90 southbound, which will provide a right exit lane for US 12/18 westbound – eliminating the current left exit.
- During the construction project, the following ramps will be closed for three months starting in mid-June 2020.
- I-39/90 southbound ramp to US 12/18 eastbound; and
- Westbound US 12/18 ramp to the southbound Interstate.
- Motorists must use alternate routes such as the signed detour using the Beltline and US 51/Stoughton Road interchange.
- Single lane closures are also anticipated on US 12/18 westbound and eastbound near the Beltline interchange.
- Other nighttime ramp and road restrictions will take place during the project; more information and exact dates will be announced in advance of the closures.
- The Beltline interchange construction is scheduled to be completed in fall 2021, and I-39/90 will feature:
- Three southbound lanes through this interchange with dedicated off-ramp lanes to the Madison Beltline.
- Three northbound lanes before and after the interchange, with accommodations for a potential third lane through the interchange core.
- View the Beltline interchange configuration.
- All lane restrictions, road and ramp closures, and work operations are weather dependent and subject to change.
- Remember to be alert for crews and equipment in this area, and drive with caution through all work zones.
Electronic weekly construction updates for this project will start Friday (March 13) and continue through the 2020 construction season.