Posted: March 7, 2019
Despite the snow and frost in the ground, nighttime work will resume on I-39/90 and I-43 near Beloit as crews continue the first of two phases related to reconstruction and expansion of these two Interstates in Rock County.
What you need to know:
- Phase 1 work resumes next week and includes:
- Reconstruction of I-43 with traffic being reduced to one lane in each direction and shifted onto the southbound side of I-43. Crews will then reconstruct the lanes on the opposite side, update the interchange ramps at County X/Hart Road and modify the roundabouts’ truck aprons at this interchange.
- Also in mid-March, all I-39/90 traffic will shift to the southbound side between Cranston Road and the Illinois state line so that crews can reconstruct and expand the northbound lanes of the Interstate.
- Colley Road is closed for the duration of the project as crews widen the bridges over the local roadway.
- In late summer or early fall 2019, all I-39/90 traffic will shift to the new northbound permanent pavement between the Illinois state line and Cranston Road as crews begin to reconstruct and expand the southbound side within these limits. I-43 traffic will also be shifted to the newly completed Interstate lanes and crews will begin reconstruction of the southbound side.
- Electronic weekly construction updates for this project will begin on Friday, March 15, and continue through the 2019 construction season.
- I-39/90 remains open to two lanes in each direction during daytime hours and weekends.
- One lane will be maintained in each direction on I-43, east of Beloit.
- Nightly single lane closures will occur on I-39/90 northbound and southbound and I-43 northbound and southbound near Beloit.
- 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Plan ahead and anticipate slowdowns in this area.
- Periodic overnight ramp closures may occur at the I-39/90 and I-43/WIS 81 interchange.
- Notice of ramp closures will be provided via area media, the I-39/90 project website, email updates, and the project Facebook page.
- All lane restrictions, ramp closures and work operations are weather dependent and subject to change. Motorists are reminded to be alert and drive with caution in all work zones.
Phase 1 is scheduled to be completed in November 2019. The second phase of the project is anticipated to begin in spring 2020 and scheduled to be completed in late fall 2021. Phase 2 work will focus on reconstructing the I-39/90 and I-43/WIS 81 interchange.