Posted: August 14, 2018
Nighttime work will occur on I-39/90 and I-43 near Beloit as crews begin the first of two phases related to reconstruction and expansion of these two Interstates in Rock County.
Phase 1 work will begin this week and continues through fall 2019. This work includes:
- Construction of crossovers on I-39/90 near the Illinois state line and also between Colley Road and Cranston Road. In addition, spot repairs and patching will take place on the Interstate, and crews will improve the shoulders on I-43, east of I-39/90, in preparation for future reconstruction staging.
- Motorists can expect weeknight single lane closures on the Interstates between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m., and periodic overnight ramp closures at the I-39/90 and I-43/WIS 81 interchange.
- Starting in spring 2019, all I-39/90 traffic will shift to the southbound side between Cranston Road and the Illinois state line so that crews can reconstruct and expand the northbound lanes of the Interstate. Colley Road will be closed for the duration of the project as crews widen the bridges over the local roadway.
- In spring 2019, crews will also begin reconstructing I-43 with traffic being reduced to one lane in each direction and eventually shifted onto the southbound side of I-43. They will then reconstruct the lanes on the opposite side, update the interchange ramps at County X/Hart Road, and modify the roundabouts’ truck aprons.
- In late summer or early fall 2019, all I-39/90 traffic will shift to the new northbound permanent pavement between the Illinois state line and Cranston Road as crews begin to reconstruct and expand the southbound side within these limits. I-43 traffic will also be shifted to the newly completed Interstate lanes and crews will begin reconstruction of the southbound side.
Phase 1 is scheduled to be completed in November 2019.
The second phase of the project will begin in spring 2020 and is scheduled to be completed in late fall 2021. Phase 2 work will focus on reconstructing the I-39/90 and I-43/WIS 81 interchange.
I-39/90 remains open to two lanes in each direction during peak travel times. During the 2019 construction season, one lane will be maintained in each direction on I-43, east of Beloit. Nightly single lane closures will occur on the Interstate weeknights from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. within the construction project limits. All lane restrictions, ramp closures and work operations are weather dependent and subject to change. Motorists are reminded to be alert and drive with caution in all work zones.