Posted: March 14, 2019
Crews will resume work next week to reconstruct and expand approximately 12 miles of Interstate 39/90 from Hart Road near Beloit north to the I-39/90 and US 14 interchange (Exit 171B) in Janesville. Construction crews are currently working on the northbound Interstate lanes in preparation for the upcoming traffic switch within these limits.
What you need to know:
- Electronic weekly construction updates for this project will start tomorrow (March 15) and continue through the 2018-2020 construction seasons.
- Be sure to inform family, friends and co-workers who may travel the area and encourage them to sign up for project email updates.
- During daytime hours and weekends, I-39/90 remains open to two lanes of traffic in each direction.
- Nightly single lane closures are expected on I-39/90 in this area between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Anticipated construction staging between Janesville and Beloit:
- Crews will finish work on I-39/90 northbound within these limits. Be alert for minor traffic shifts in this area.
- In mid-April, all Interstate traffic is expected to shift onto the newly completed northbound concrete pavement between Beloit and Janesville. Two lanes will remain open in each direction separated by a temporary barrier wall.
- The Interstate crossovers will be located south of the US 14 interchange in Janesville and close to the Hart Road overpass near Beloit. Learn more about the Interstate crossovers.
- This will allow crews to complete reconstruction and expansion of the southbound lanes within the project limits.
- Besides periodic nighttime closures, ramps will remain open at all interchanges via temporary connections:
- County S/Shopiere Road (Exit 183);
- WIS 11/Avalon Road (Exit 177); and
- WIS 11/Racine Street (Exit 175).
- During construction, local roadways will be closed under I-39/90 as crews remove and replace the Interstate bridges.
- Advanced notice of these roadway closures will be announced to area media, as well as posted on the I-39/90 project website and project Facebook page.
- In summer 2019, noise barriers are anticipated to be constructed along I-39/90 southbound between the US 14 (Humes Road) and WIS 11 (Racine Street) interchanges. The remaining sections of noise barrier from Randolph Road to US 14 will be extended this year or 2020.
- This section of the Interstate project is scheduled to be completed in spring 2020 (weather-permitting).
- All lane restrictions, ramp and road closures, and work operations are weather dependent and subject to change.
- Remember to be alert for crews and equipment in this area, eliminate distractions when driving, do not tailgate, and drive with caution through all work zones.