Posted: March 1, 2018
Crews will start work next week to reconstruct and expand approximately 12 miles of Interstate 39/90 from Hart Road near Beloit north to the I-39/90 and US 14 interchange (Exit 171B) in Janesville. Construction crews are currently working in the Janesville area on the northbound Interstate lanes and bridges over local roadways, as well as preparing for the upcoming traffic switch within these limits.
What you need to know:
- Electronic weekly construction updates for this project will start Friday, March 9, and continue through the 2018-2020 construction seasons.
- Be sure to inform family, friends and co-workers who may travel the area and encourage them to sign up for project email updates.
- During daytime hours and weekends, I-39/90 remains open to two lanes of traffic in each direction with a temporary barrier wall separating northbound and southbound traffic.
- Nightly single lane closures are expected on I-39/90 in this area between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Anticipated construction staging between Janesville and Beloit:
- Work will continue on the northbound Interstate lanes within these limits.
- In mid-March, all I-39/90 traffic will be shifted over to temporary lanes onto the southbound side of the Interstate starting at the Hart Road overpass, near Beloit, to the US 14 (Humes Road) interchange in Janesville.
- Once this traffic switch is in effect in mid-March, the County S/Shopiere Road ramp to I-39/90 northbound will be closed for two weeks as crews complete the temporary loop ramp connection to the southbound side. Motorists should follow the posted detour route during the short-term closure.
- Besides periodic nighttime closures, ramps will remain open at all interchanges via temporary connections:
- County S/Shopiere Road (Exit 183);
- WIS 11/Avalon Road (Exit 177);
- WIS 11/Racine Street (Exit 175); and
- US 14/Humes Road (Exit 171B).
- When the I-39/90 northbound expansion is complete within these limits, both northbound and southbound motorists will be shifted to the new northbound pavement as crews reconstruct and expand the existing I-39/90 southbound lanes. Again, two lanes will remain open in each direction separated by a temporary barrier wall.
- Noise barrier installation along I-39/90, between WIS 11 (Racine Street) and US 14 interchanges, in Janesville:
- Spring/summer 2018 – I-39/90 northbound (westbound).
- Summer 2019 – I-39/90 southbound (eastbound).
- Note: These dates are dependent on weather and work operations, and subject to change.
- This section of the Interstate project is scheduled to be completed in spring 2020 (weather-permitting).
- All lane restrictions and work operations are weather dependent and subject to change.
- Remember to be alert for crews and equipment in this area, and drive with caution through all work zones.