Bidding for WisDOT highway construction projects is conducted under the authority provided in Wisconsin Statutes 84.06(2)(a) Bids, Contracts. Contracts shall be awarded to the lowest competent and responsible bidder as determined by the department.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s (WisDOT) process for bidding on highway construction projects is outlined in the State of Wisconsin, Department of Transportation, Standard Specifications for Highway and Structure Construction.
- All bidders of prospective highway construction projects are “prequalified” by the department to ensure that the bidder has “competency and responsibility to perform the work.”
- Bid letting advertisements are posted approximately five weeks prior to the bid letting.
- Plan holder and eligible bidder listings are posted ten days prior to the letting date (Friday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Monday at noon the day before the letting)
- Bidders submit a sealed bid for a prospective highway construction project to the department.
- All highway construction projects have a bid opening. Upon opening and reading the prospective bids, the department posts apparent bids at approximately 9:30 a.m. on the day of the letting.
- WisDOT proceeds through a process of awarding and executing the highway construction contract. The award process involves comparison and analysis of the bids in order to look for irregularities and to ensure the eligibility of the bidder.
- Upon completion of this process the contract is awarded to the “lowest responsible bidder.”
- The highway construction contract is then executed by the Governor upon receipt of the contract, the contract bond and all other department-required forms.
- After each highway bid letting, WisDOT makes awards and publishes the all bids received report for each awarded contract.
- Reports are available online for the current and previous year.
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Highway Construction Bid Lettings occur on the second Tuesday of each month.
In addition to the standard bidding procedures, WisDOT follows other best management practices on large and/or complex project delivery.
- Outreach to the Wisconsin Transportation Builders Association for input during various stages of the plan and spec development
- Face to Face contractor workshops on unique project components
- Early release of draft Plans and Specifications to the contractor industry
- Extended timeframes for bid letting advertisements
- Pre-bid meetings to allow Questions and Answers for Plan and Specification clarification