US 51, Reardon Road to just north of County V (Grinde Road), Windsor to DeForest, in Dane County.
- Reconstruct this segment of US 51 into a 4-lane divided freeway.
- Existing two lanes will be reconstructed and an additional two lanes added to create a 4-lane divided highway.
- The new 4-lane divided highway will transition back to two lanes just north of County V (Grinde Road).
- Interchanges to be constructed at Windsor Road and County V / North Street.
- Due to the conversion of US 51 to a freeway, all access to the highway outside of the interchanges will be removed.
- Current private driveway accesses onto US 51 will be relocated to existing side roads, new frontage roads or new development streets.
- County V will be realigned east of US 51.
- There will also be bridges constructed as overpasses of two side roads, Vinburn Road and the proposed Bear Tree Parkway.
Proposed traffic staging
Construction scheduled in two phases:
- Staging 2013-2014 - Phase 2 construction, Vinburn Road to County V (Grinde Road); construction currently in progress.
- Staging 2012-2013 - Phase 1 construction, Reardon Road to Vinburn Road; construction complete.
US 51, from just north of WIS 19 interchange to Grinde Road, will be expanded from a 2-lane highway to a 4-lane freeway.
Access to US 51 will only be allowed at interchanges. Two full diamond interchanges located at Windsor Road and North Street / County V are included in the proposed design.
Other features of design are identified below and can be seen on the proposed changes map above:
- The proposed design will utilize the existing US 51 roadway on the north and south end as one roadway while an additional 2-lane roadway will be constructed along side.
- From Windsor Road to County V / North Street, all 4 lanes will be constructed east of existing US 51 and existing US 51 will be converted to a frontage road called North Towne Road. All driveways and side road access points on the west side of existing US 51 will maintain access to North Towne Road.
- Roundabouts will be constructed at the ramp terminals of the Windsor Road and County V / North Street interchanges, as well as on the north and south ends of proposed North Towne Road.
- County V will be realigned east of US 51 between North Street and County V (east).
- Overpass structures will be constructed at proposed Bear Tree Parkway and Vinburn Road. Side roads that currently intersect US 51 that will not have overpasses constructed, will become cul-de-sacs. These side roads are Reardon Road, Gray Road (west), Grinde Road and Windsor Way.