2014 PROJECT UPDATE:
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is hosting a public involvement meeting to discuss the I-43 Bridge rehabilitation project.
Thursday, March 27, 2014
5 - 7 p.m.
St. Anthony's School Campus - Maria Hall
929 W. Mitchell Street in Milwaukee
If you have questions about the project or meeting please contact:
Ken Kiepczynski, P.E
WisDOT Project Manager
I-43 Bridges Project, Milwaukee County (en español)
2014 PROJECT UPDATE: Phase II Construction season for the I-43 Bridges rehabilitation project set to begin this spring.
2014 construction will include:
- Bridge rehabilitation at Mitchell Street, Lincoln Avenue, Maple Street, Warnimont Pedestrian Bridge and SB Exit Ramp Bridge over Becher
- Roadway paving at SB Becher St/Lapham Blvd Entry & Exit Ramps and Holt Park & Ride
- Bridge painting at Valley Bridge under 6th Street at Washington intersection and Mitchell St Over I-43
- Under-deck bridge repair at Valley Bridge and Oklahoma Overpass.
Long-term closures anticipated during 2014 construction season include:
- Mitchell St. between 5th St. and 4th St.
- Lincoln St. between 5th St. and 4th St.
- Maple St. between 5th St. and 4th St.
- Warnimont Pedestrian Bridge between 5th St. and 4th St.
- Lapham Blvd SB Entrance Ramp.
- - - - - - - - -
This four-mile project will rehabilitate bridges both on and over I-43 in Milwaukee County,from Howard Avenue (just north of the Mitchell Interchange) to the Valley Bridge (just south of the Marquette Interchange).
This stretch of I-43 serves as an important link between the Mitchell Interchange and Marquette Interchange, and is a major regional route for tourism, special events, and commerce. Bridge rehabilitation work is required in this area so this vital link can be maintained, especially in advance of upcoming construction on the Zoo Interchange and Hoan Bridge projects.
This project will rehabilitate 13 bridges on and over I-43 from Howard Avenue to the Valley Bridge in Milwaukee County, including bridge deck overlays/replacements, bridge repair and painting.
We ask for your patience as we undertake several large infrastructure improvement projects planned in this area over the next two years. WisDOT has plans to improve traffic flow on I-794/I-94 westbound in the Marquette Interchange in early spring 2013 and the Hoan Bridge in fall 2013. We also intend to begin preliminary work on the Hoan Bridge.